4.0 Meetings #
4.1 Annual General Meeting #
- The Annual General Meeting shall be called by the President and be held in a time manner which is in accordance with Alberta Societies Act.
- Business conducted at the Annual General Meeting shall include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Meeting is to be called to order.
- Adoption of meeting agenda
- Adoption of preceding year AGM minutes
- Roll call of Officers & Directors.
- Report of President
- Report of Treasurer
- Considering the reports of Directors
- Elections; (in accordance with Section 5.3)
- Orders and general business
- At the sole discretion of the Chair as defined in Section 4.4 below, voting at the Annual General Meetings shall be cast by a show of hands or by secret ballots.
- Any business other than business noted in Section 4.1(a) and 4.1(b) above shall be considered new business.
4.2 Special Meetings #
- Notice of a Special Meeting shall be emailed to members at least twenty-one (21) days prior to the date of the meeting, as well the day prior to the meeting.
- A Special Meeting may be called at any time:
- by the Secretary of the Association on the instructions of the President; or
- on the written petition of at least forty (40) Members of the Association. The petition shall be sent to the President or Secretary and shall state the reason why the Special Meeting has been requested; or
- by a resolution of the Board to that effect.
- Upon receipt of a petition for a Special Meeting as described in Section 4.2(a)(ii) above, the Special Meeting must be called within fourteen (14) days and held within forty-four (44) days after receipt of same.
- Only the matters set out in the notice for the Special Meeting shall be considered at the Special Meeting.
- The President may determine the order of business at a Special Meeting.
- Unless otherwise agreed upon by eligible Voting Members in attendance, voting at a Special Meeting shall be by show of hands.
4.3 Notice of Meeting #
- Notice of the Annual General Meeting shall be posted on the Association’s website, the Associations Social media outlets, and emailed to members at least twenty-one (21) days prior to the date of the meeting, as well the day prior to the meeting.
- For the purpose of sending communications to any Member, Director or Officer for any Meeting or otherwise, the address or email address of the Member, Director or Officer shall be the last known address or email address recorded on the books of the Association in respect of such party.
- For the purpose of conducting any meeting as described or prescribed herein the Board may, at the sole discretion of the Executive Committee, conduct said meeting in person or via electronic means.
4.4 Chair #
- The President, or in its absence, one of the Vice-Presidents, shall preside over all Meetings (the “Chair”).
- If the President and Vice-Presidents are all absent, a replacement of the Chair must be elected by Ordinary Resolution of the Members entitled to vote at such Meeting within the first thirty (30) minutes of a Meeting.
4.5 Financial Statements #
A copy of the financial statements of the Association shall be provided to Members at the Annual General Meetings.
4.6 Special Resolution #
- If a Special Resolution is to be proposed at a Meeting, the notice of that Meeting must include:
- the full text of the Special Resolution; or
- if the full text of the Special Resolution is too lengthy for convenient inclusion in the notice, a summary of the text in sufficient detail to permit a Member to form a reasoned judgement concerning the Special Resolution.
- If the notice for the Meeting contains a summary of the text of a Special Resolution, the notice must also state the place where the full text of that Special Resolution can be read or copied.
4.7 Quorum #
- Quorum for Annual General Meetings and Special Meetings shall be fifteen (15) persons, including the Chair as defined Section 4.4 herein.
- If, within one hour from the time designated for a Meeting a quorum is not present, the Meeting shall be adjourned to a date and time as determined by the majority of Members present.
- If, at the adjourned Meeting, a quorum is not present within thirty (30) minutes from the time appointed, the Members present in person are deemed to constitute a quorum.
- No business, other than the election of a Chair and the adjournment of the Meeting, may be transacted at any Meeting unless a quorum is present, and if at any time during the Meeting there ceases to be a quorum present, any business then in progress shall be suspended until there is a quorum present.
4.8 Voting #
- For greater certainty, a majority of the votes cast by the Members present and carrying voting rights shall be required for approval of business except where the vote or consent of a greater number of Members is required by the Act or these Bylaws.