1.0 General #
1.1 Name #
This document is the general bylaws for the Medicine Hat Minor Hockey Association (the “Association”). These Bylaws regulate the transaction of business and affairs of the Association.
1.2 Affiliation #
The Association shall be a member of Hockey Alberta (HA).
1.3 Definitions #
In these Bylaws:
- “Act” shall mean the Societies Act, RSA 2000 C S-14, as amended or any substitution therefore from time to time.
- “Annual General Meeting” shall mean the annual general meeting of the Members.
- “Association” shall have the meaning specified in Section 1.1 of these Bylaws.
- “Board” shall mean those individuals elected, appointed to the positions of Officers and Directors, in accordance with Section 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 of these Bylaws.
- “Bylaws” shall mean these bylaws of the Association, as amended from time to time.
- “HA” shall have the meaning specified in Section 1.2 of these Bylaws.
- “Chair” shall have the meaning specified in Section 4.4(a) of these Bylaws.
- “Chair of the Board Meeting” shall have the meaning specified in Section 5.8 of these Bylaws.
- “Committee” means a group comprised of individuals charged with specific activities and objectives as instituted by the Executive Committee.
- “Director(s)” shall mean the person(s) elected to the Board from time to time in accordance with these Bylaws.
- “Directors of the Board” shall have the meaning specified in Section 7.1 of these Bylaws.
- “Executive Committee” shall be comprised of the President, the Vice-President, the Treasurer, the Secretary and the Governor of Coach/Player Development.
- “Hockey Operations Manager” (HOM) shall mean the individual hired to manage the Associations Hockey Operations.
- “Family” shall mean collectively one or more Participants registered in the Association, each of whom have the same parent(s) or legal guardian(s);
- “Game and Conduct Plan” shall mean the plan implemented by the Game and Conduct Directors (as defined in Section 7.2 (b) of these Bylaws) and as amended from time to time.
- “Meeting” shall mean an Annual or Interim General Meeting or Special Meeting of the Association.
- “Member” shall mean an individual approved for membership in the Association in accordance with these Bylaws and “Members” means two (2) or more Members.
- “Medicine Hat Boundary” shall mean the municipal boundary applicable to Medicine Hat and the surrounding area, as approved by Hockey Alberta from time to time.
- “Medicine Hat Draw Zone” shall mean the recruitment areas for AAA and AA hockey.
- “Officer” shall mean any officer of the Association elected from time to time in accordance with these Bylaws.
- “MHMHA” shall mean the Medicine Hat Minor Hockey Association.
- “Ordinary Resolution” shall mean a resolution passed by more than fifty (50%) percent of Voting Members in person.
- “Participant” shall mean any individuals who are registered as a player or team officials in the Association, whether or not such individual is a Member.
- “Person” shall mean an individual, corporation, partnership, association, society, trust, unincorporated organization and any other business organization or institution.
- “Rules and Regulations” shall mean the rules and regulations of the Association prescribed by the Board relating to the management and operation of the Association adopted and revised from time to time.
- “Season” shall mean the HA hockey playing season that runs from August 1stup to and including April 30th of each year.
- “Special Meeting” shall mean a meeting for which notice is given at least twenty-one (21) days in advance, held for the purpose of managing extraordinary business, as described in Section 4.2 hereof.
- “Special Resolution” shall mean:
- a resolution passed at a Meeting for which at least twenty-one (21) days’ notice specifying the intention to propose the resolution has been duly given, and by the vote of not lessthan seventy-five (75%) percent of those Members who vote in person. If notice less than twenty-one (21) days’ is given, a Special Resolution shall be passed if all Members who vote at the meeting so agree.
- a resolution consented to in writing by all of the Members entitled to vote at a Meeting in person.
- “Voting Member” shall mean those Members referred to in Section 2.3.
1.4 Interpretation #
In these Bylaws:
- Words importing the singular number include the plural number and vice versa, words importing the masculine gender shall include the feminine and words importing persons shall include corporations and companies.
- Headings are for convenience only. They do not affect the interpretation of these Bylaws.
- These Bylaws must be interpreted broadly and generously.