6.4 PROGRAM COMPONENTS/ELEMENTS #
There are five major components in the MHMHA hockey program including:
- Power skating
- While skating is an individual skill, consistent with the notion that skating is the most important skill in the game of hockey, MHMHA has chosen to place a high emphasis on the development and reinforcement of skating skills at all levels.
- Individual skill development
- Physical – skating, shooting, passing, puck control, checking
- Mental – thinking skills, values
- Social – the ability to work cooperatively to produce a result – team play.
- Emotional – personal discipline and self-control – the ability to not let others take one out of the game.
- Positional play – skills associated with a particular position and on-ice relativities.
- Team Dynamics- the coordinated play of all six players who are on the ice at any given time.